On Thursday, January 12th, Nintendo hosted a live event showing off many new features of their new upcoming console, the “Nintendo Switch.” During the event, Nintendo went over information regarding its release:
- The Switch is scheduled to release March 3rd, 2017, and will retail for $300.00 USD
- It will feature two “Joy-Con” controllers to be used, either attached to a controller or by themselves, depending on the game
- The newest game in the Zelda series, “Zelda: Breath of the Wild,” will be releasing as a launch title
- Other games, such as “Super Mario Odyssey” and “Splatoon 2″ will release at later dates after launch
- It will have a portable battery life of around 2 1/2 – 6 hours depending on the game
Nintendo also went over slight improvements over their previous console that the Switch will improve upon, such as better graphics and a “Rumble HD” feature for the Joy-Con controllers. Besides the games listed above, the console will also have other games planned upon release. “1, 2, Switch” is an upcoming party game focusing on gestures and body language rather than commands given from the game controller. “Arms” is a one-on-one fighting game, where you need to use spring-powered gloves to attack your opponent, all while dodging and rolling to avoid their attacks as well. Other games already released or coming to other platforms, such as “Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim” and “Sonic Mania” plan to release on the Switch too.
The console proves to be a different video game system from the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One, as it plays games using cartridges rather then the traditional game disks. The initial reaction of the system left fans and critics skeptical, but they were ultimately optimistic for the release of the Switch. Only time will tell what the future of the Switch will lead to for the Nintendo company, and the video game industry as a whole.